We feel sorry for all those lonely water heaters out there. Stuck in a corner in a dark basement, shoved in a closet that never gets opened, no attention paid to it until it doesn’t work or starts to leak.
Well there’s another piece of equipment that garners no attention or love. Your gas meter. Take a little gander at these tips to keep your gas meter safe and accessible courtesy of FortisBC.
- Don’t build anything around or over the meter and pipping. Just don’t.
- Don’t store or lean anything against the meter. See above.
- Don’t attach or lean anything against the meter. People actually do this?!
- Don’t create a vehicle lane, driveway or parking next to the meter. Accidents happen and the LAST thing you want is to accidentally hit your meter with your car!
- Keep the area clear of plants.
- If making any structural changes to a building, make sure there’s enough space between the opening and the gas meter.
If you have any questions or concerns about your gas meter, feel free to call Water Heater Rescue at 604-628-3333. If you smell gas immediately leave the house and call FortisBC at 1-800-663-9911